Home / FAQ’S

Frequently Asked Questions

How can we help you? Below you will find answers to the questions we get asked the most about SUMA.

Because the SUMA programmes are EIT-labelled, SUMA students will receive a student enhancement allowance. The exact amount will depend on various criteria, but this will generally be around 9.000 euros for the whole master programme (two years). For students starting from September 2018, EIT RawMaterials has specified that students will receive the scholarship during the calendar year 2019 in monthly instalments of max. 1500 EUR. If a student drops out, the scholarship is discontinued at the time of leaving SUMA. During the master, students need to cover their own expenses.

The exact tuition fee depends on the track you chose and whether you are and EEA or non-EEA national. SUMA students pay a yearly tuition fee; on average this amounts to 1000-1500 EUR per year for EEA-students up to on average 3000-4000 EUR per year for non-EEA-students. Some universities are able to grant (a limited number of) tuition waivers. We developed have an easy calculation tool to find out the fees for each track. You can find this tool on the programme paths section of the study page.

The admission process is as follows:

  1. Candidates apply on our website and send us their motivation letter, CV and transcripts;
  2. The SUMA selection committee reviews these applications and makes a first selection;
  3. Pre-selected candidates are invited for a Skype interview; if successful they will be accepted to register at the host entry university;
  4. After a complete check of the CV and transcripts by the international offices/student admissions offices of the host entry university, the student is enrolled in the programme and starts in September. In specific cases, a preparatory programme may be suggested.

The deadline for registration is 15 April for non-EEA students and around 1 July 2019 for EEA students.

The SUMA master programmes are open to all students worldwide. However, English proficiency is required. You can read about the SUMA policy at KU Leuven website: https://www.kuleuven.be/english/admissions/lang/lang-test – “All applicants who have not obtained a previous diploma in a programme taught in English in Australia, English-speaking Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom and the United States of America must submit a certificate proving their proficiency in English.”

We assess all applicants on an individual basis. Please visit https://master-suma.eu/study/#entry for details.

The SUMA master programmes have a duration of two years. They start in September each year.

All students from outside the EEA require a visa to study in Europe. You will be provided with details once your application has been accepted. If you hold EU/EEA citizenship then you will normally not need a visa.

The EIT Label is a quality seal awarded to top Master and PhD programmes which excel in shaping a new generation of students into game changers and innovators. Students of EIT Label programmes learn how to combine their specialist knowledge with key innovation and entrepreneurship skills to develop solutions to pressing societal challenges. The EIT Label was developed and awarded by the EIT (European Institute of Innovation and Technology), a body of the European Union.

The SUMA master programmes involve study in two different European countries, often with different languages and cultures. Furthermore, periods of intense study may be required. While part-time work may be possible, you should ensure that you can adequately fund your living expenses without recourse to term-time work for the duration of the programme.

SUMA graduates go on to a wide range of careers. Visit our careers page for details.

Yes! Current and past SUMA students are happy to talk about their experiences with prospective applicants. Please click here to meet the SUMA ambassadors.

No! All administration, teaching, assessment and practical activities are in English. However, at many SUMA partner universities you will have the opportunity to take a language course to improve your skills.

All the SUMA partner universities offer campus accommodation or support in finding your own accommodation in the local area. You’ll be sent further information once you’re accepted on the course.

The cost of living can vary significantly between SUMA host university cities. Refer to the website of your host university, or contact us for advice. Please note that if you need a student visa, you may be required to demonstrate sufficient funds to support your living expenses as well as your tuition fees.