The Atlantic Copper Chair is a collaboration between the Polytechnic University of Madrid and Atlantic Copper to promote advanced training in Metallic Mining, Metallurgy and Materials. The programme contributes to the development and consolidation of research and knowledge advancement in these fields and offers activities to students at the Higher Technical School of Mine and Energy Engineering of Madrid, SUMA students and any other students and researchers interested in the study of Metallic Mines, Metallurgy and Materials. Professor Dr. José Luis Tejera Oliver has been nominated as the University Chair Director.
Atlantic Copper is a Spanish Company whose sole shareholder is the US global conglomerate Freeport-McMoran, one of the leading natural resources companies in the United States that produces copper, gold and molybdenum. Their main base of activity is in the Huelva Metallurgy Complex, which produces high-grade refined copper from ore mined in several places around the world. The production plant is formed by the smelter (producing anodes), and the refinery (producing cathodes), and three sulfur acid plants.
Atlantic Copper Chair Awards,
Financial Aids and Internships
The programme provides students with a series of awards, financial aid and internship opportunities
to help assist in advancing the field of Metallic Mining, Metallurgy and Materials.
- Atlantic Copper Annual Prize of Metallurgy – 1,500€ award for students who have finished their university degree and get the highest pass rates in the 5 subjects of Metallurgy, and are enrolled within Atlantic Copper University Chair training programme.
- Final University Project Prize – 1,500€ award for the best final project about copper metallurgy.
- Best doctoral thesis – 1,500€ award for the best doctoral thesis about copper metallurgy.
- Financial aids for studies and research papers about copper metallurgy – 1,000€ award for study or technical analysis about copper metallurgy and publication in specialised magazines or a presentation in national or international congresses.
- Internships – 2 posts offered for internship with Atlantic Copper metallurgy plants in Huelva (only for UPM students).
Atlantic Copper Chair Lectures
Each academic year between October and March, the ACCHAIR organises 15 two-hour long conferences by international experts, covering extractive and recycling metallurgy and outlining the most recent scientific and technological innovations in the fields.
All the ACCHAIR conferences are available online to the students from all the Universities of the SUMA consortium.
Atlantic Copper Summer School
The Atlantic Copper Chair will organise a Summer School in July 2021. The course will last one week, with 3 days of classes at the UPM and three days of visits to the existing mine projects and metallurgical plants in the Spanish pyrite belt.
More information about the dates of the Summer School and the course contents will follow soon.